Essentially, the yoga training consisted of four weeks, class six days/week (Saturday off), from 10a-430. We had the option of coming early for a self guided practice, or staying late for the intense "rocket" class. I generally stuck to the 10-430 schedule, figuring that it was sufficient for my body and mind (aka sanity). It was pretty
funny, because the first couple of days, I was fairly laid back, in terms of socializing. I mean, I still talked to people and all that jazz. But I wasn't as gregarious as some of my fellow cohorts. As the weeks went on, I became more myself (read sarcastic) and talkative. My fellow yogis contributed this new found energy to yoga. Little did they know.My yoga class was a definite mixture of people, and it was neat to see us grow individually and as a group as the time went on. There was Yeshim, from Turkey, who was always the first with a question. For the first few days, she brought her rescued chiwawa named Pinky, who would really just sit in her oversized purse and watch us during classs or lessons. Yeshim assured us Pinky was doing do-ga. Kanako was from Japan, and absolutely the cutest thing I've seen in a while. She understood English fairly well, spoke when spoken to, and had this beautiful energy coming from her. Bill was an American who lives in Florence, and owns a successful bike tour company. Alysha just finished building her own house with her husband, and had quit her job as a bank manager of 10 years only four months before. Ashley was a pilates instructor who was looking to open a health and wellness center with her sister in the near future. LeShara was this beautiful lady who works as a nurse in a health center outside San Francisco. Sarah was a fellow Taurus who lived in the Sunset district with her fiance, who owned a pizza place that I brought some friends to my last day in the city. Molly was a dance teacher with bright pink hair was is moving to Poland with her husband in May. And Emily had taken this course in 2003, but recently had a stroke that left her
temporarily paralyzed on her left side, and was wanting to get back into it. We were an eclectic group indeed, but fun. And I was the baby of the group who every once in a while would make sassy remarks to Larry, the "rockstar" of the studio (aka founder/owner). He had this way about him that reminded me of a rockstar, with his yogis as groupies, so I'd flash him the peace sign every now and again.The month was a beautiful, cleansing, and energizing experience for me. It falls into that category of doing things that you just know is good for your heart and soul. It tests you, helps you grow, and gives you a new, healthy perspective on life. The meditation aspect has really helped me become more present in my life, lowing my anxiety of the future. It's not to say I'm a master meditator, but I've learned some tools to help me calm myself. One example: focus on the breath. Slow it down, take it deeper. When you inhale, say "let", and on the exhale, "go". You can replace this words with numerous others. Some options: inhale strength, exhale fear. etc etc.
Upon my return to San Diego, I found myself once again jobless and anxious to find my way. Yoga teaches us to let the universe guide us. It's that concept of when the door closes, a window opens. And that there's a natural flow to things. Taking this advice to heart, I tried not to force things or panic with my new found yet familiar unemployed status.
On my second day back to my old yoga studio old yoga studio, I saw the owner. I talked to him about some of my experiences, and he offered me a time to teach a class! The teacher who had that time spot unfortunately hurt her rib (non yoga related), and he was thinking of me as a substitute. I was so thrilled. Later that night, he called asking if I would like a part time position helping him run the studio. During our conversation earlier that day, I had mentioned that I was open to teaching and available because I had quit my job and was looking for new avenues for myself. So there you have it! Upon my return from Pennsylvania, I'll start teaching Tuesday nights, and work at the studio. What's great about that aspect is not only do I get to learn more about the business of running a yoga studio (something that I would love to do in the future), but when a teacher needs a sub, I can jump right in.
So that's that! I'll put up some more stories as time permits. This whole blogging thing is a great outlet. Thanks for re-opening this avenue up for me jhiga.
Peace.
4 comments:
holy crap! you are meeting some dope ass people. your writing is great. i wanna be in your yoga class, shooter. and when you have a studio (which will be the best yoga studio), i will be a member so you can teach me.
i think we (spencer and I) always saw this coming! spence just got into town tonight and i'm in somewhat of a giddy mood to have him back around for a while. we're gonna have to stop into the yoga spot with eugene too!
i'll call you sometime for all of us to get together for a picnic on the beach! but i'll be gone mid week till sunday b/c my sister is having a baby out in vegas. well... glad to see you back on the blog!
Pensaba decir simplemente "Welcome back", pero ahora resulta que ENSEÑAS YOGA?! Estás completamente loca y yo lo había olvidado :) Me encantó el post, divertido e inteligente, como su autora... estoy deseando leer tus nuevas aventuras en la escuela de yoga.
Un beso fuerte desde la vieja europa.
can you hook me up with the japanese chick?
Post a Comment